text text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
BULTACO 200cc Matador - 1964
A Spanish roadracing champion both before and after the war, Francisco Xavier Bulto co-founded the Montesa company in 1946. He resigned his directorship after a board meeting voting to retire the factory from GP road racing in 1958. That same year, with other former members of the Montesa firm, he began tooling up for a new motorcycle which was announced early the following year as the Bultaco, a name suggested by Bulto’s friend – John Grace. A “Thumbs Up” would become part of the Bultaco logo.

In 1964 Bultaco introduced the Matador 200. The machine was designed to compete in the International 6-Days Trials which was considered to be one of the toughest tests of a motorcycle and rider. With a full compliment of street legal equipment – ie, horn, lights, etc. the bike appealed to many street riders that liked to ride both on and off-road. The machine used the premier Betor rebuildable suspension components, Akront rims, and had a peak horsepower of 23 hp. The Matador would open up an all new market for a dual-sport motorcycle.

This machine was restored by Bob Benson, a Bultaco expert from Massachusetts and is quite rare. Please enjoy!

Images are property of The Early Years of Motocross Museum, ®2006